Island in the Mist
Use the following steps to calculate your hit points:
- Each class has a Bonus HP trait associated with it. Of the classes in which you have at least one level, select the one with the highest Bonus HP. This is your starting number of hit points.
- Each class also has a per-level hit point bonus. Add a number of hit points equal to the per-class hit point bonus multiplied by levels of that class. (See example below).
- If the character has the Toughness series of feats, he receives an additional number of hit points according to the feat descriptions.
- Finally, add a number of hit points equal to your CON bonus times your class levels.
Isolde is a Laischee Rog4 with a CON bonus of +2.
- Looking at the Rog class description, she sees that Rogues have a Bonus HP of 2. She begins with 2 hit points.
- Rogues also receive 4 hit points per level, so Isolde has an additional 16 (4×4) hit points for a total of 18 (2+16).
- She has no Toughness feats, so for step 3, Isolde is still at 18 hit points.
- Although she is effectively a level 6 character, Isolde receives no bonus for her increased ECL from being a Laischee. She adds her 8 (2×4) CON bonus hit points for a total of 26 (18+8) hit points.
Ramey is a half-orc Bbn6/Ftr2 with the Toughness II feat and a CON bonus of +4.
- Looking at the class descriptions for each, he sees that Barbarians have a Bonus HP of 5, and Fighters have a Bonus HP of 4. He takes his Bonus HP from the Barbarian, because it is the higher value for the two classes in which he has levels. Ramey has 5 hit points.
- Further reading the class descriptions, Ramey sees that Barbarians receive 7 hit points per level and Fighters receive 6. He adds 42 (7×6) for his Barbarian levels, plus 12 (6×2) for his fighter levels. He now has 59 (5+42+12) hit points.
- Ramey now takes into account his bonus from Toughness II, adding 16 (2×8) hit points, for a total of 75 (59+16) hit points.
- Finally, he adds his CON bonus. He has 8 class levels (Bbn6 + Ftr2). He adds 32 (4×8), for a total of 107 (75+32). Not bad for a level 8 character!